How did I get to be a Therapist?
I have formal training as a counsellor and in Brief and Narrative Therapy, and have been working with kids and families since 1990. I have a Masters degree in Social Work, and am a licensed member of the Ontario College of Social Workers. At present, I also teach Narrative Therapy practices at the Hincks-Dellcrest Gail Appel Institute in Toronto.
Like all of us, my qualifications are a combination of:
- formal training and education,
- things I’ve learned from life experience
- lessons taught to me by other people, through stories and observation
Here are some bits that stand out:
- Being raised by a young, single mom taught me about assumptions, support, and determination
- Going to art school taught me creative thinking, planning, and playfulness
- Working with homeless teens taught me how to listen, and how to grieve
- Being in a committed relationship taught me compassion, forgiveness and humour
- Working with young children teaches me imagination and respect
- Gaining my Master’s degree taught me about injustice, community, and perseverance
- A motorcycle accident taught me about dependence, insecurity, and recovery
- And working as a Narrative Therapist teaches me about collaboration, hope and curiousity
And what's your story?
We are all made up of stories and experiences that shape what we know, and what we do.
When I work with people I want to know about many aspects of their lives, including
- what they’ve been taught,
- what they’ve taught themselves,
- what they’ve seen and felt through the experiences of other people
- and what it all means to them.
I work as a team with the people who consult with me, and together we change how problems limit lives. We build our knowledge of what works, together.
Between my experience and yours, we have a lot to work with!
My Private Practice
With over 20 years experience working with families and communities, I now focus on helping adults and children who are dealing with conflict, stress and anxiety.
I love working with couples, with people who are struggling with the effects of Anger, and with children ages 5 and up and their parents.
Since 2009, I've been training and presenting on Narrative Therapy to a wide variety of professionals, including housing workers, school board social workers, health care workers, First Nations community health centres, University counsellors, addictions counsellors and many more. My hope as a trainer is to help people learn how to have caring and productive conversations with each other.
University of Toronto, Master of Social Work
York University, Bachelor Social Work
Emily Carr College of Art and Design, Bachelor Fine Arts
I am a Registered Social Worker, Ontario College of Social Workers, 2007 to present
and a member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers
Sensori-Motor Psychotherapy, Level 1
Narrative Therapy Extern Programs, Hincks-Dellcrest Institute
Narrative Therapy Introductions, Brief and Narrative Therapy Center
Reflective Practice with Jan Fook
Working with Men who use Abuse with Tod Augusta-Scott, Alan Jenkins
Programs for Child Witnesses of Domestic Violence
Working with Youth in Community Settings
Introduction to Play Therapy
and various trainings and workshops on the use of neuroscience in therapy, conflict resolution, anger management and many others
Presentations and Workshops (selected)
Year Long Extern Program in Narrative Therapy
5-Day Certificate in Narrative Therapy
Ethical Anger Management
Working with Older Adults
Deliberate Practice for Professional Development
Collaborative In-Session Note-Taking
Counselling Skills- 6 week program,
Helping People Navigate LIfe Transitions,
Undermining the Habits of Low-Self-Esteem,
Selected Work Experience
Faculty, Narrative Therapy Extern Program , Hincks-Dellcrest, Toronto, 2009-present
Clinical Social Worker, Family Health Team, Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto, 2010-2016
Co-Facilitator, Partner Assault Response Service, Family Services, Toronto, 2008-2010
Therapist, Yorktown Walk-in Clinic, Toronto, 2007-2009
Manager, Neighbourhood Programs, Woodgreen Community Services,Toronto, 2003-2008
Child, Youth and Family Therapist, Peel Children's Center, Mississauga, 2006-2007
Child and Youth Community Development Worker, Woodgreen Community Services, Toronto, 1998-2003
Child, Youth and Family Therapist, Port Alberni Women's Resource Center, Port Alberni, BC, 1994-1997